Thursday, May 09, 2013

Batu Caves, Kuala Lumpur Tour



So many things to do, so little time... I know this is my constant rant here on my blog. But looking at the brighter side of things, I still consider myself lucky. I work from home (basically from any place where there's internet wi-fi) which means I can travel on a whim or at a moment's notice. In fact, this weekend (just when I thought that I'd just be staying home this month to take a break from all that continuous traveling I did since October last year), I am going to visit Kuala Lumpur and Kota Kinabalu again. Actually, I'm leaving tomorrow and I need to be at the airport by 4am!!! Ack! I really need to pack!



I may be stressed coz of too much work I need to finish but I am excited nonetheless! It's been a looong time since I've been with my blogger friends and I'm really looking forward to spending time with them (for those of you who don't know this about me, I am an introvert, a loner, a solo traveler .. although lately I've been traveling a lot with my bessy Hanz and before that with my baboo Peter)


Anyway, moving forward, the last time I went to Kuala Lumpur, I was with my girl best friend Jayme. It was part of our Singapore - Vietnam - Malaysia trip. And yep, I've been so busy, Kuala Lumpur is one of those trips I did that I haven't even blogged about yet. And now, here I am about to visit that beautiful place again. So before I get a decade late on my post (LOL!), I just wanna share with you what Jayme and I did the last time we were in Kuala Lumpur. We stayed for only 2 nights before our trip back to Clark, Pampanga. It was a short stay but we enjoyed it nonetheless. Now, I can't wait to go back to visit its other amazing sites!  Here's one of the places we visited. More to come...


Batu Caves


A gigantic limestone outcrop, Batu Caves are comprised of 3 main caves. They are quite popular and such an iconic tourist spot in Selangor, Malaysia, 13 km. north of Kuala Lumpur. The name originated from the Sungai Batu or Batu River flowing past the hill. It is also the name of the nearby village. We rode a train from KL Sentral train station straight to Batu Caves which runs every 30 minutes with tickets costing 4MYR return.


Inside Batu Caves are Hindu shrines and temples lined with a variety of deities. 


Looking for the shrine itself, we had to go deep inside the high caverns. If you count it, you have to go down 272 steps total!




If you choose to visit this place during the annual Hindu Festival celebrated mostly by the Tamil community called Thaipusam which happens every full moon of the Tamil month of Thai (end of January to start of February), then you will find yourself visiting Batu Caves with thousands of worshipers and tourists. Good thing we visited first week of January!


The cave is one of the most popular Hindu shrines outside India, dedicated to Lord Murugan. It is the focal point of Hindu festival of Thaipusamin Malaysia.


Batu Caves’ primary attraction is the huge statue of the Hindu God found at the entrance, Lord Murugan. 


Like In said, you’d have to climb up a total of 272  steepsteps to get that stunning view of the city centre skyline. 






Inside, there are paintings and scenes of Hindu Gods which can also be viewed in the Ramayana Cave. 


We found monkeys frolicking around the caves. Jayme even took a photo with one. I am quite scared of wild animals so I just took her picture. Teehee. 




Below are videso Jayme took outside and inside Batu Caves. Be sure to visit this amazing place the next time you come to Kuala Lumpur. Enjoy!

Entrance of Batu Caves, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia  


 Lord Murugan Statue, Batu Caves  


 On top of Lord Murugan Statue, Batu Caves


Inside Batu Caves, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia  


 Kuala Lumpur Inside Batu Caves

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Share This Post