Monday, January 24, 2011

Sardine Run @ Pescador Island in Moalboal, Cebu

It was supposed to be the last day that our team, Motivating Minds, will train the staff of Club Serena. However, when Carelle and RR decided to stay late the previous night to finish the training, we had the whole morning to ourselves. It was a perfect set up which means my friends get to dive while I get to snorkel at no other than the most famous marine park in Moalboal, Cebu --- Pescador island.

Carelle, RR and Ian were all raving about it. I just hoped it wasn't like my experience at Gato island where I couldn't see anything underwater because of the illegal fishing going on causing the water to be murky with dead fishes floating. On the other hand, I was still excited. They were hoping to catch the sardine run on video and I was hoping to catch it too from the surface where I'll just be snorkeling.

The boat ride from Club Serena to Pescador island was about 30 - 40 minutes. The boat docked near the shallow part of the coast where I can already see the beautiful and colorful corals from where I was sitting. I thought I'd snorkel there too. Unfortunately, as soon as all the divers went underwater, the boat moved to the deeper part of the coast where the water was so choppy. I was scared to snorkel at first. But thinking that we'll be going back to Manila later that afternoon, I gathered enough courage and just went into the water.


I was dumbfounded with what I saw. There were like a billion sardines swimming all around me! I snorkeled right into the middle of the sardine run! I couldn't explain how I felt. I was just too happy that I didn't have to dive just to see this! I was one with the multitude of sardines swimming all around me.



But of course, if I was diving, I'd have a bird's eye and more magical view of the whole thing. With snorkeling, it was just so overwhelming. It's like I'm a sardine myself and I was part of the run! LOL!

This video below doesn't do justice to the actual sardine run but here it is anyway:



Experiencing the sardine run at Pescador island was really one experience I'd never forget. Maybe next time, I'll finally overcome my trauma in diving and I'd get to experience it again from the deep. ^_^

To see the rest of the photos during this adventure, please click:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=80240&id=1619903650

***For a complete list, here's an awesome guide on Cebu: Where to Go and What to Do 

1 comment:

Peter "The Mordo" Juan said...

This is easily one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I hope to see it in person next time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Share This Post