Thursday, July 12, 2012

Deer Farm in Ocampo, Camarines Sur - Bicol - Caramoan Adventure Series Day 3



This is the third part of my Bicol - Caramoan adventure series. It's taking a while for me to complete the whole series because I've been spending so much time with my best friend Hanz, plus I have a ton of work to finish before I fly off to Taiwan for the 2012 International Youth Seminar on Life and Ch'an from July 18-Aug.3.


So anyway, to continue, after we visited Lignon Hill Zip Line, Cagsawa Ruins and Mount Mayon on our first day and went swimming with the whale sharks of Donsol in Sorsogon on the second day, we headed to this five-hectare farm 4 kms. from Mount Isarog --- the Deer Farm in Sta. Cruz, Ocampo, Camarines Sur. 



The site is perfectly on the way to the boat station where we rented a boat going to the Caramoan Peninsula, our ultimate destination.


When we got there in the morning, we spent some time feeding the deer and just enjoying the view. It was quite windy but the weather was really good. I couldn't help getting more excited about our next destination --- the Caramoan Peninsula and the many white sand beaches we'll be visiting after this detour.


The Deer Farm is owned by the Camarines Sur government. It has more than 300 heads of deer species from Australia including Fallow Deer, Blackbuck Antelope, Red Deer, Chital Deer, Elk, plus our local Philippine deer. The deer farm was developed in 1996 with only 60 heads of five species of deer from Australia. The number has grown since.


The deer farm's mission is to make their province a supplier of Venison (deer meat) which is  usually served in classy restaurants. As for the hides, they can be utilized as materials for belts, bags and other handicrafts while the antlers can be used for its medicinal value.

After some more feeding and photo ops, we were finally off to Caramoan. Yipeeee!!!! Til my next post!


9 comments:

Swexie said...

Glad to know that there are other spots in CamSur aside from the wakeboarding. =) You seem to have a full schedule, ingat sa byahe! =)

James Cooper said...

Swexie, I know right?! This place was really quite a nice surprise. :)

Sumi Go said...

I love the photos! :D I've never been to CamSur but Caramoan has been in my bucket list for quite a while now. Hope I can also have an adventure and see these deers for myself in the near future.. ^^

James Cooper said...

Hi Sumi! You'll love it here! Make sure it's summer when you visit the place so you'll totally enjoy the whole experience. :)

Lady Patchy said...

Deer,I did not know that there is a farm there.I usually see deer crossing down at the back of my house chasing by the coyotes.Venison meat is good for stew.

MrsMartinez | xoxoMrsMartinez.com said...

My husband is from Bicol but I have only been there once and I was only able to see Mayon Volcano. looking at this post makes me want to go back to see all these animals.

xoxo
MrsMArtinez

Lucky Pinoy said...

I thought you're in Australia but instead of kangaroos they replaced it with deer:)

Do they smell like goat or cow?

Jo Tan said...

i had no idea may ganyan sa camsur! :) something new to look forward to :)

Kai Grafia said...

love how your photos are so vivid! :d Would love to go to Camsur as well :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Share This Post